Join a COVID-19 Hackathon: 10 Reasons why you Should get Involved28 Apr, 2020
Taking a look at the benefits of joining a hackathon and listing 11 active hackathons working to fight the effects of COVID-19.
We’re all sitting at home to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and many of us are feeling pretty helpless. You might have offered to pick up groceries for an elderly neighbour or helped a friend set up Zoom and other remote tools to enable them to work from home. But what if you have skills that can help map COVID-19, create support structures or solve problems that have emerged as cities shut down and many services are closed to reduce the pandemic? Consider joining a hackathon.
A Whitepaper on Developers and the COVID-19 crisis: Challenges and Opportunities
In the early stages of COVID-19 we reached out to our community of developers to gain an insight to their experiences – how it was impacting their workplace and their existing orders, the job market in general and tech as a sector. What follows is a deep dive into the results of our survey.
There are many great, tangible reasons for joining a virtual hackathon:
- Increase your experience working in small groups
- Share your skills
- Help build better products
- Make friends
- Meet potential employers/colleagues
- Gain confidence in explaining your ideas to new people
- Gain mastery of virtual tools and working online
- Learn new skills and hacks
- Try out new tools for free
- Give something back for the greater good