Clinical Characteristics of Pregnant Women with Covid-19 in Wuhan, China

23 Apr, 2020
Despite the large and rapidly rising number of cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) and resulting deaths,1 there are limited data about the clinical characteristics of pregnant women with the disease.2,3 We extracted information regarding epidemiologic, clinical, laboratory, and radiologic characteristics, treatment, and outcomes of pregnant women with Covid-19 through the epidemic reporting system of the National Health Commission of China, which stores the medical records of all 50 designated hospitals in Wuhan city. 

From December 8, 2019, to March 20, 2020, we identified 118 pregnant women with Covid-19 in Wuhan according to the criteria of the Chinese Clinical Guidance for Covid-19 Pneumonia Diagnosis and Treatment; 84 women (71%) had positive polymerase-chain-reaction (PCR) testing for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARSCoV-2), and the remaining 34 (29%) had suggestive findings on computed tomography (CT) of the chest. Criteria for mild, severe, and critical disease and other methodologic details are provided in the Supplementary Appendix, available with the full text of this letter at NEJM.org. The pregnant patients represented 0.24% of all reported patients with Covid-19 at these hospitals during this time.

(...)